Flint Institute of Music - 3/11 Barton

Michigan
Venue: 
Flint Institute of Music
Address: 
1025 E. Kearsley Street
City: 
Flint
ZIP/Postal Code: 
48503
Specification: 
3/11
Manufacturer: 
Barton
Original Installation: 
No

Originally located in the Capitol Theatre of Flint, Michigan. Fully playable. They have a non-ATOS affiliated organ society. More info at: http://thefim.org/affiliated-organizations/530-flint-theatre-organ-club

from the Flint Theatre Organ Club website at: http://ftoc.org

THE FLINT THEATRE ORGAN CLUB AND BARTON 3-11 PIPE ORGAN
The Barton pipe organ currently resides at the Flint Institute of Music (FIM) in the MacArthur Recital Hall. It was formerly in the Capitol Theatre, in Flint, having been installed there in 1928.
The Flint Capitol Theatre Organ Club was formed by a small group of pipe organ enthusiasts in 1967 with meetings taking place on Saturday nights after the last evening show. In 1970 club members began work on the restoration of the organ which had deteriorated over the years.
On October 2nd 1976, the Capitol Theatre closed its doors and the club was instrumental in getting the Butterfield Theaters to donate the organ to the Flint Institute of Music, thus keeping it for use in the local community.
Organ club members and several other interested parties dismantled and moved the organ to FIM in November, 1976. They spent the next 14 months making the full eleven ranks completely operable. A